Thursday, April 14, 2011

Here's to throwing out the rule book...



Five days ago, I had the privilege of participating in the University of Dayton's Relay for Life, during which I walked from the hours of 5 and 7...AM. Sounds miserable, I know, and you're probably thinking "Who in their right mind would sign up for those hours?" This crazy lady right here. And you know what? Thank goodness I did. Those two hours walking alone, chatting it up with the Big Man Upstairs were exactly what I needed to clear my head and heart. The thoughts and ideas that flooded my head during that stretch of walking were comparable to some one might have in the shower - and we all know the best thinking is done in the shower ;) One of my ideas? Starting a blog. Here we go!

Have you ever been completely aware of the blessings in your life? What I mean is, have you taken the time to step back, take a deep breath, look around, and just delight in the people and events in your life that make it so rich? If you are able to do that every once in a while, that in and of itself is a true gift. I don't know how I got to be so lucky - I'm so humbled by everything I've learned and experienced this school year and I almost have to laugh at the thought of the person I was last year!

Last year I thought I had the best plans for myself - get good grades, make the same kind of friends I had in high school, and just play by the rules. What a silly freshman I was... everything that has brought me to be who I am right now is such a whirlwind and sometimes, I can't even believe this is my life.

Get ready for the really sentimental, cheesy crap (oh shutup, you know you love it). The Lighthouse fall retreat changed my soul! I was not fully aware of the extent of this change until most recently. The nautical jargon has become everyday lingo for me. For this Lighthouse family, I'm eternally grateful. Every single person I've come to know from Lighthouse has been so unapologetically unique and true gifts in my life - each contributing something different, teaching me about themselves and even things I didn't know about myself. Around them - I feel safe, loved, and like I can do anything in the world -because if a storm tears me down, they'll be there rowing my boat when I can't or be the shining lighthouses to get me back on calm waters. This community has given me such an indescribable peace in my heart and taught me what true love is. And you know what else about my fellow Lighthousers? They don't play by the rules! My beautiful LH wife yelled "Go on Lighthouse retreat, the drunkest retreat on campus!" on St. Patrick's Day -- appropriate? Probably not. Embraced with love by LHers? Absolutely yes. I shared with team my fear of swiss cheese and holes and the fact that I used to play the accordion in 5th grade. Normal? No, freaking weird! Was I shunned? Of course not, it was like an open invitation for others to share their oddities and BE PROUD!

More than anything, Lighthouse has been a support system. Whether it's our 500th email - seriously, that chain has been going strong for 3 weeks now - encouraging text messages, stress-relieving movie nights (with ice cream of course!), lunch in KU, or random sleepovers... I feel like I have people to rely on, cry to, laugh with, and just enjoy and I hope that they find the same in me.

Life will continue to throw various curve balls - or as we Lighthousers like to call them - storms. But knowing that God is working through each of us to be safe harbors, lighthouses, and crew members for each other gives me the comfort and confidence that I can get through anything.

So what, I'm a Lighthouse junky? Who cares! I am loved. And guess what? You are too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment